Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunday Market

Coming from Pakistan, weekend markets mean getting up pretty early on a Saturday or a Sunday and and then heading of to a fragrant street for an intense bargaining sessions with the vendors, till noon. The Kitsilano market on 11th at Larch (Vancouver) is slightly different in that respect.

First ,I was there a bit early(9:30am), the farmers and other vendors do not start selling before 10am. But that did give me the opportunity to interact with the farmers before the market got crazy. I also noticed quite a bit of extra-curricular activities, as part of a farmer's market. There was face painting, a masseuse, a lady selling jewelry, a crepe cart and a couple of guitarist smack in the center of mail aisle. This made it more of a weekend fair than a farmer's market. But it did attract quite a bit of customers.

This was at Greg's stall. They were selling sweet peppers, hot peppers and eggplant. The sweet peppers were crisp and a had a slight twang to them.
I could not resist the colorful hot peppers above, but could only afford five.

Scrumptious Okanagon pears. I believe these were part of the first pick.

The triad of onions below were quite a reasonable quality and size. I always feel onions need to be particular size. And these ones were to my liking. I went for the French ones.
These are probably the most presentable mushrooms I have ever seen in a market. I just ran out of cash. Otherwise I would have invested in one of these baskets.


So on the whole, the farmer's market was quite a success. I am divided in my opinion about the other vendors providing services and selling novelties. It takes away from the true farmer's market flavor, on the other hand it did invite more customers from the neighborhood.

4 comments:

Adanac said...

Good day to all you reading this blog!

This is a truly Canadian Farmer reporting in...Your Blog refers to some of my farm products including our super sweet peppers and our lil' hotty peppers!

Great photos and awesome feedback! It's comments and blogs like yours that make us proud of what we grow.

Thanks again,

Adanac,
Aka Greg Reinhart
Glenwood Valley Farms

Adanac said...

Good day to all you reading this blog!

This is a truly Canadian Farmer reporting in...Your Blog refers to some of my farm products including our super sweet peppers and our lil' hotty peppers!

Great photos and awesome feedback! It's comments and blogs like yours that make us proud of what we grow.

Thanks again,

Adanac,
Aka Greg Reinhart
Glenwood Valley Farms

Adanac said...

Opps! Sorry for posting twice.

Hamza said...

Thank you adanac.
Sorry to have been so
sloppy with posting articles,
I'll be posting another story shortly.